Friday, 24 June 2016

Free Hotline For Insurance Questions

Hotline For Insurance

Free Hotline For Insurance Questions

On a tight budget and want to know how to reduce your car or home insurance premiums? Have a claim and need to know how to submit it to your insurance company? Need the telephone number of an insurance company? Michigan residents with insurance questions or problems can get objective and accurate answers to their questions, by calling toll-free 1-800-777-8005 or e-mailing at

The Insurance Information Hotline, founded in 1979, is a source of information on all types of insurance. Personnel also handle complaints about companies and agents. About 500 people dial up the toll-free telephone number each month. The service recently expanded to include responding to inquiries received through e-mail.

The aims and objectives

"The purpose of the Hotline is two-fold," said Leanne Snay, Executive Director of the Insurance Information Association of Michigan (IIAM). "It is a ready source of information on all types of insurance. Secondly, personnel respond to complaints and provide for a prompt, objective resolution of disputes between policyholders and insurance companies."

Personnel do not recommend companies, agents or the types of coverage that consumers might buy. Consumers do get advice on how to shop for the best deal on insurance and can request reference material on specific insurance subjects. (Some frequently asked questions by Hotline callers are listed on the following page)


Free Hotline For Insurance QuestionsThe service is available from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The Hotline is administered by the Insurance Information Association of Michigan, a non-profit, public information organization headquartered in Lansing. It provides a number of consumer information and education programs, including a site on the Internet,
Here is a sample of the most frequently asked questions by Hotline callers.


Q. We're on a tight budget. How can we cut our car insurance rates?

A. Here are a few ideas. One...choose your next car carefully. Insurance rates are based on its value and how difficult it is to repair. Two... coordinate the coverage in your auto policy with other accident and health policies you may have. Three...choose higher deductibles on collision and comprehensive coverage. Four...consider a more economical type of collision coverage...but make sure you understand when you are covered and when you are not. Five...if you have an older car and it's not financed, you may want to drop both collision and comprehensive coverage. carefully. Most traffic tickets and at-fault accidents will automatically increase your rates. And finally, talk to your agent. Find out what all of your options are.

Q. Does my regular home insurance policy cover flooding, like if there there was a flood and I got water in my basement?

A. No. A regular homeowners insurance policy does not pay for flood damage. But if you need coverage, you can probably get it through a program sponsored by the federal government. The price you pay depends on the value of your property...and how likely it is to be damaged in a flood.
You can get information about it...and buy the special flood insurance...through most licensed property/casualty agents in Michigan.

Q. I plan to quit my job to go back to school. My mom says I can keep my health care coverage by purchasing something called COBRA. What's COBRA?

A. The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) is a federal law which requires certain employers to offer continuation of group health coverages. If you quit your job, you may be able to continue your current benefits for up to 18 months. You pay the premium, of course!